Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rant: What not to do on a first date

Don't talk that much about your ex-wife
Don't ask me for too many details about my last ex-boyfriend
Don't ring me when I am 3 minutes late meeting you
Don't email me with all the things that your ex-wife says are wrong with you
Don't invite me to a movie for a first date - you can't get to know someone sitting silently beside them
Don't then talk during the movie
Don't awkwardly pat me like a dog when it's time to say goodbye.

Honestly, I don't really know why I went. Actually I do - it was the whole getting back on the horse thing and I'm proud of myself for doing it, even though it was all somewhat excruciating.


On the up-side, Mamma Mia! the movie rocked. I love Meryl Streep in anything and this shows us she can do singing and dancing as well as acting. Mr Darcy...I mean Colin Firth, another favourite, is in it too. There is even a nice wet white shirt reference in there. Pierce Brosnan is the male lead. I have a problem with him - always seems a bit wooden (is it just me?) and his singing doesn't quite cut it. Oh, well. Overall, though, it is great fun. Highly recommended.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

God - how painful. He patted you like a dog? He's got issues!

I am looking forward to seeing the movie - hoping for a marathon movie session this weekend, and will include this and kung fu panda at the very least.

twitchy fingers said...

Man, that's tragic... I hate the first date. Wasn't it Seinfeld who said that its just like a job interview - I'd say your friend didn't get the job!

Col said...

Patted like a dog? Wrong species entirely pc :)

Reading this story is even funnier than hearing it - funny in an entirely sympathetic way of course.

Bells said...

he sounds creepy. Someone should send him a link to this post!

Georgie said...

Oh dear. That sounds tragic and painful. And quite funny too - I hope it is for you in hindsight!