Saturday, June 7, 2008

Where was I ten years ago, etc

Menai Bridge (or Porthaethwy in Welsh), Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Mon), North Wales (Gogledd Cymru), where I lived for several happy years. It's the next village along from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

1) What was I doing ten years ago?
1998 was the year after I finished my undergraduate degree. I went backpacking in Europe and then lived in Wales for the rest of the year with my relatives. I thought I would figure out what I wanted to do with my life during that year but I never did. Towards the end of the year I returned to Australia and got a job in Melbourne captioning Neighbours and Sale of the Century for deaf and hard of hearing people. I started learning Auslan (Australian Sign Language), which one day I will go back to - I loved it.

2) What are five (non-work) things on my to-do list for today?
Go househunting, go to Canberra World Wide Knit in Public event and tag stuff (I've always wanted to do this! BTW, check out Knitta Please for excellent knitting graffiti/public art), do washing, apply for a lifetime of crushing debt (aka submit my mortgage application), clean the house

3) Snacks I enjoy?
Chocolate and lately persimmons. Mmm! Also creme brulee. It's not a snack exactly but I'm in love with creme brulee right now.

4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire?
Cycle around the world. In fact, I plan to do this even if I'm not a billionaire but I think I would have much better food and accommodation if I were! I'd work with the ACT government to convert Canberra to a city which leads the world in environmentally sustainable housing. I'd invest in an excellent public transport system in Canberra.
I'd help my brother be a full-time artist.

5) Places I have lived?
Willoughby and Five Dock in Sydney; Mirabooka and Cooranbong in Lake Macquarie, NSW; Turner (3 houses), Downer and Belconnen in Canberra; Dwygyfylchi, Menai Bridge (3 houses) and Y Felinheli in North Wales, UK; Lille in France; Carlton in Melbourne; Kitsilano (2 houses) in Vancouver, Canada.


6) Jobs I have had?
During school and uni: Canteen server, Red Cross delivery driver, youth hostel assistant, indoor plant technician
In
adult life: TV subtitler, support worker for visually impaired person, health economics research assistant, linguistics research assistant, BBC project developer, office temp in accounting firm, database officer in pediatric hospital, event promoter for a bicycle organisation, ANU project administrator.

7) Peeps I want to know more about?
Everyone!

2 comments:

Bells said...

I'm really envious of the time you've spent it Wales over the years. I think it must be really special to have done that.

Rachel said...

Yes, North Wales is a gorgeous place with lovely people. Crap for yarn shops though!!