Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Knit Knit book review and tea bag strings


During the Easter long weekend I visited my brother in Melbourne. Melbourne is one of my favourite cities and the year I spent living there in 1999 was far too short. But one way or another my life hasn't taken me back there to live (yet), so I'm super happy to have a close relo living there now. Aside from visiting my brother and yarn shops (of course) my main aim was to visit bookshops. I borrowed a bike from my brother and rode around town from shop to shop and didn't have a lot of luck finding anything I liked until the last day when I hit paydirt at Borders in Carlton. It has a great selection of knitting books (unlike Borders in the Canberra Centre which continually disappoints). My best get was Knit Knit, edited by Sabrina Gschwandmer. (BTW, thank you, God, for giving me a short German surname to spell.) This book is full of the most inventive stitching. It's mostly wearable and non-wearable knitted art and profiles 27 knitters/artists. My favourite is Isabel Berglund who has knitted a wearable room! The knitted walls have knitted garments sewn into them which you can slip into and the whole thing is topped off with a knitted tree. Absolute genius, as far as I am concerned.

This book has convinced me that nothing is too weird to knit - there's even a section on a guy called Dave Cole who knits gigantic structures (e.g. a massive teddy bear) out of sometimes toxic industrial materials. So I've decided to collect 1000 used tea bag strings to knit. The pic is of my current collection of two from home. It will be a art/craft/recycling statement type of project. If you would like to help, send me a comment and I'll give you an address to which you can send your used tea-bag strings. I've already caused a stir at work by putting a bowl with a sign in the kitchen. Hmm...cup of tea...good idea!

4 comments:

Taphophile said...

Completely agree about the brilliance of Knit Knit. Put it this way - I payed full price for it without blinking!

I have one teabag string for you so far and several promised.

Bron said...

I'll be saving up tea-bag strings for you =)
I've put out the word around work too =)
Any idea what you'll knit?

Rachel said...

Thanks, Kuka and Taph. Every string counts! My ideas for the end product include tea cosy (sort of obvious and in my house sort of useless as I don't own a teapot! But I guess it could be something interesting to look at rather than a practical object). Other idea is to have a go at knitting something purely ornamental - maybe a cup and saucer - I saw this in KnitKnit. This would be a big test of my knitting skills though. Might have to make a test one with normal yarn first.

Denise said...

Sounds like a book I must read (or have)!!

We're saving our tea bag strings for you :)