Monday, December 22, 2008

Introducing Mariella

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to have my very own cat. And finally, here she is! Her RSPCA name was Charlie but I don't think she has very fond memories of the RSPCA, so I have renamed her Mariella or "Mari" for short. (Mari is the Welsh form of Mary too.)

It must be true what they say about the animal picking you and not the other way around. If you had told me a week ago that I would be the owner of a female black and white cat I would not have believed you. I went to the RSPCA looking for a grey or ginger male cat.

She seems to be settling in very well. Every day she does something different. Last night was her first attempt at jumping on the kitchen bench to see if she could get some prawns! Luckily she's a bit scared of loud noises and sudden movements, so it didn't take much to let her know that this was not on. Her other favourite activities are kneading cushions for about 10 minutes while purring loudly, getting brushed and gazing whistfully out the window. Unfortunately, I'm not letting her out just yet - the RSPCA recommended keeping her inside for four weeks, but I'm going to rig up some netting in the back courtyard so she can go out before that. I'm determined that she won't catch any wildlife, so the courtyard may be the furthest she ever gets. We'll see...

2 comments:

Couchshow said...

Awwww, pretty like a princess.

So glad she's working out. Has she been using the scratching post?

Denise said...

She is gorgeous, and looks very regal! Good idea to fence in an area for her to save the wildlife.

Happy New Year :)